Everyone knows that kids love animals, and pets are well known for their positive benefits on family life. But finding the right pet to suit a busy lifestyle can be tricky, especially if you like to go on holiday regularly.
So what’s a good pet for families who travel? Fish of course! They’re affordable, silent, don’t smell or make a mess, and there’s no need for kennelling when you go away. Fish are becoming so popular, that 1 in 10 UK households now keeps fish as pets and with the huge range of options now available to make fishkeeping easy for beginners, more families than ever are now introducing fishy friends into their homes.
Fish may be lower maintenance than most household animals, but getting a pet is still a big responsibility. So this month we’ve teamed up with Tetra, the UK’s leading supplier of aquatics to get some top tips on keeping fish responsibly and how to care for them when you go off on your next Trunki adventure.
We’re also giving you the chance to win your very own beginner’s aquarium along with two of our PaddlePak rucksacks, perfect for little fish fans. Just head to our Facebook page to enter now.
Choosing the Right Fishy Friends for Your Aquarium
First things first, before you start planning your aquarium, think carefully about what fish make the best pets for children. Some breeds are more complicated to look after than others, so we would always recommend starting with tropical freshwater fish. Hardy species like Tetras and Zebra Danios are perfect for beginners.
Check out our quick guide with everything you need to know to get started, from choosing the right fish, to setting up the aquarium and making sure your new friends live a long and happy life.
Looking After Your Fish While You’re on Holiday
One of the great things about fish is that they’re fairly self-sufficient and will happily look after themselves while you’re on holiday.
- If you’re packing your Trunki for a little mini break, Tetra produce weekend food to keep your tropical fish or goldfish fed while you’re away. Just pop some sticks into the tanks and you’re ready to go.
- If your family are heading off for longer, just use Tetra’s holiday food discs, they’re suitable for all tropical fish and they’ll keep your little friends fed for up to 14 days.
- If you think you might be gone for longer don’t worry, you can always use an automatic fish feeder. They’re available in most pet shops and dispense a small amount of your fish’s usual food several times per day.
Easy-peasy. Now all you have to do is decide where your next holiday adventure will take you!
WIN a Beginner’s Aquarium and Trunki PaddlePak Filled With Fish Supplies!
Our first prize winner will win the beginner’s aquarium plus a Trunki PaddlePak filled with everything you need to get started in the world of fishkeeping. Second prize is a Trunki PaddlePak filled with fish goodies. Closing date is midnight on Sunday 11th of September. Good luck!
- The competition is open to UK residents only
- Competition closes at midnight on 11th September 2016, entries submitted after this time will not be included
- Entries can be submitted via the comments on any Tetra or Trunki Facebook page post mentioning the competition
- Two winners will be selected at random
- Winners will be contacted via Facebook and announced on Monday 12th of September
- The winners will be asked to provide their delivery details for postage. They will have 1 week to reply and claim their prize or an alternative winner will be selected
- A maximum of 1 prize per person
- No cash alternative is available
- Tetra and Trunki reserve the right to amend/change/cancel the competition at any time.